Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Just do it!

Often I don’t do things because I figure the answer will be no, so I don’t even try. Yesterday I got a double dose of “Just try it”.
The meter lamp for the freeway has been out since daylight savings. Normally I just deal with the traffic, but after a week I was still bugged. I tracked down a number for UDOT, who transferred me to Region I, who gave me the cell phone number to a foreman. I almost stopped there because I didn’t want to call his cell phone to bug him, but the lady assured me it was fine. He told me that it might be because of the construction, but to call one more person. All were surprisingly polite – though not helpful until my final call. He said he’d look into it and took down my number. He also said that if it wasn’t construction related he’d submit a work order. I figured that would take another week or so. You should have seen my grin when I pulled up that evening to go home and…. It was working!!!
Lesson #2: I’ve been trying to get a Swine Flu shot, I even tried to register online for Salt Lake County. In only 15 minutes after registration opened and they were already out of appointments! Weber County was supposed to give out tickets Monday between 4-6pm – really? What’s with the inconvenient hours? Fred went up and walked right in Tuesday morning. I think I was afraid to do that expecting to be turned away and bugged that I’d wasted my time. I decided to “Just try it” and took off work a few minutes early. I walked right in, they handed me a paper, sent me down the hall, filled out a paper, walked down another hall, had my paper checked, walked down yet another hall to stand behind 4 people. That’s it! I asked if I could have a sucker if I didn’t cry. :} I hate shots, but it wasn’t bad at all!

2 comments:

Becky Knowles said...

I'm totally the same way. I never do anything if I'm not pretty sure it will work out. Good for you!!! You inspire me. Maybe I will do something daring this week. :)

Tina said...

So, did you get the sucker?