Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Proof I listened to my mom as a kid.


I spent Monday canning- almost all day. I don't mind doing it, but Tad seems to mind. He played well as I got everything ready. As soon as I stood in front of the sink to start peeling pears he'd wiggle in between me and the cupboard and push me away from it. So, after his afternoon nap, he went to play at Grandma's. Then, while I knew he was happily playing I not only finished my pears and fruit cocktail, I also made a batch of tomato sauce and peach pie filling!
See, I really did listen when my mom tried to teach me how to can. When I was little I thought it was the end of the world to have to can (everything but pears - I'd sneak some bites and was pretty happy).
Now, I'm proud to say we bottle so much we have to buy more bottles every year. (If you hear of anyone getting rid of bottles, we'd love more!)
This year we made: Nectarine & Apple Juice, Apple & Peach pie filling, Peach jam, Tomato sauce, Fruit cocktail, Raspberry jam, Peaches, Nectarines, Pears, for a total of .... 150 qts, 74 pints, & 53 half pints.
Unfortunately we still have stuff to bottle, but grape juice is our FAVORITE to drink & Tad has lived on butternut squash for the past year, so I guess we better do it.
Fred wants to learn how to can meat - I'm still not sure, I think it'll look gross on the shelf. Either way, I'm not taking it on by myself! If any of you have amazing things you can, we'd love to try new things. (Carmel Apple jam was a bust last year!)
Now if only we had room for everything!

No comments: