Thursday, April 2, 2009

The new chef

Everyday when I'm driving home from work I call Fred to let him know I'm on my way. The past few months he's been focusing on school & not working - I have to say I'm going to have a REALLY hard time when he does go back to work. He's been amazingly helpful while I've gotten (mostly) past the sick part of being pregnant. Everyday he asks what he can start for dinner.
One day last week I was talking to him on the phone and he says "did you hear that?" "No, what was it?" "It was an explosion! I bet it was loud enough the neighbors heard it." he says. I asked what he was doing and he wouldn't really say. Then he says urgently "I've gotta go!... Everything's okay, I've just have to go." So we hung up.
When I arrived home all of the windows were open and the fans were on. Nothing smelled charred. :} I went to the kitchen, he had the rice cooker going, beans (w/onions & tomatoes) on the stove, and in the oven my dear husband had cooked a whole chicken!


He was so proud & I was even more impressed that everything was perfectly done!
(The explosion had been the chicken juice splattering in the oven, so he covered it with tinfoil to reduce the mess. It set off the smoke detector the next day as we baked cookies and the day after that while cooked porkchops. The third day he was baking a pan of enchiladas and he commented on how good his dinner was starting to smell - then realized part of the smell was leftover from the chicken.)

No comments: