Thursday, April 2, 2009

"Chalk Chucking"

My sister got this bright idea that she wanted to go down to Spanish Fork for a Colors Festival where people throw chalk at each other. It took her awhile to help me understand that it wasn't pieces of chalk, it was chalk dust. I knew I didn't want to be in the middle of the mess, but I figured it could be fun to watch. It took me a few days to convince Fred to go with us.
Two of my sisters, Fred & I drove to Spanish Fork (actually Benjamin) - that in itself was an adventure, it seemed like everyone was on the roads (probably headed to missionary reunions as it was the weekend before conference) - Dumb drivers are probably one of Fred's biggest irritations so I wondered how he was going to do with the thousands of people that were expected to show up as big crowds ranks a close 2nd in his irritations.
We made it and didn't have to walk very far to get to the temple. There were already hundreds of people and the "chalk chucking" wasn't supposed to start for another 2 hours. We wandered around and took our shoes off to see the inside of the temple (Fred irritation #3- walking around without shoes). The temple was packed with people & a little group playing music & chanting. Downstairs they had a gift shop & some Indian Food. We got in line and paid $6 for a container of food & drink. It was awful! I'd finally gotten Fred to agree to come by telling him we'd find some Indian food for him. :} Luckily he half enjoyed it - the other 3 of us could have split one and still not finished it.

We put our shoes back on and wandered around the animals they had. They had a cool albino peacock!
I couldn't believe how many people were trying to get the llamas to eat hay out of their mouths- do they not know llamas spit?! They had advertised at BYU so that explained alot. :}

The crowds continued to file in and as it got closer to "time" Fred and I went up to the balcony of the temple in the "safe zone" so we wouldn't get covered in chalk.






We got a great spot where we could see all the crazy people. If we ever went again, we'd stand in front of the crowd, not only to be able to see their faces, but also because the dust blew up right in our faces. We were covered in a fine coat, nothing terrible, but it was also Jasmine scented making it even harder to breathe.

(My little sister covered in chalk- even in her ears! And Fred trying not to get any on him.)

We left right after the chalk fight - but there were so many people & cars trying to get in & out that we couldn't move for a few minutes. Fred looks thrilled huh?

We made it to our car and started to drive out slowly. I couldn't believe how far away people parked and were still walking in with how many cars were leaving.




I don't know that we're in a hurry to make it a tradition, but it was definitely entertaining for a Saturday afternoon!

1 comment:

Ann Marie Wallace said...

I am a chalk chucker! I went to this last year and it was so fun! I tried to make it there early enough again this year with new friends, but needless to say, we saw the pink dust rising up in the air about a mile away. We had been stuck in the crazy traffic for at least an hour.

Maybe we should do our own Festival of Colors, so that not so many people are competing with us! And those who just want to watch don't have to worry about the scary pink cloud of chalk dust ;)