Saturday, December 13, 2008

Jasper's surgery


I went outside one morning and Jasper was sitting in the flower bed (ours). He's found a place behind a rosebush that he's nestled into. His neck looked like he had cleaned it recently, the fur was wet & matted. I picked him up to look at him and saw a gaping hole in his neck!

Of course I was running late to work and it wasn't bleeding so I put him down and hoped he's be okay until I got home to take him to the vet. I didn't call for an appointment, I figured the wound justified walking in. They still acted put out by it, but fit him in.
The whole visit was humorous. I'm not over protective of my cat, he lives outside, even in the snow, he has a little house to stay warm in & food & water everyday. The vet assistant took him back, shaved his neck, the doctor looked at it, the whole time I'm sitting out in the lobby looking ridiculously bored.
Side note.... I used to work at that very Animal Hospital- for my uncle. So I was bugged that they made me sit in the lobby. I know that they're not "hurting" the animals when they shave them and the cat is meowing really loud.
So, the assistant comes back out, SITS by me and says "We'll need to sedate him." Like it's going to be the end of the world. The doctor didn't have time to do it that night so did I want to bring him back in the morning? I told her I work in Salt Lake.... She said Jasper could spend the night, no extra charge, just some people didn't like to leave their pets. I said "That's fine, my husband will pick him up tomorrow." :} Wow I sound unattached to my pet! But I really did miss him that night.
They called the next day to let me know "The surgery went well, he's resting comfortably."

His neck looked really gross with the tube & stitches so the sore could drain. He got to live inside for the week which I'm sure he loved.



A week later, Fred took him in to get his stitches out. I was afraid he had scratched the area too much, but it's healed fine. All that's left is one tiny spot & hopefully his fur grows back quickly!

No comments: