Saturday, December 13, 2008

Geocaching Nerds

We started the Thanksgiving break with family pictures since my sister's family was out from Colorado. They turned out pretty good and you can't even tell there was drama, can you? Nothing fancy since there are so many of us, but mom loves to have a picture of everyone together.
Fred went home and slept since he'd worked the night before. I made curry cauliflower for dinner at Gram's. Nothing too exciting, just dinner with the extended family. Fred slept after dinner and I went to visit my family for a little while.
The next day I went with my sister Nashaela & Paul, my sister Janae & 3 of her kids to ride the frontrunner train to Ogden. $9 for a round trip!!!! That's outrageous! But, we had told the kids we would let them ride the train... luckily there was a family pass. We stopped in Ogden at the Union Pacific Station to see their museums. They have a car museum, small art gallery, a train museum, and gun museum all for just $5 - so I felt a little bit better about the cost of the ride out there.
Fred of course had just gotten off work so he stayed home to sleep, then met us at my parents' house for Thanksgiving leftovers.
I had tried to think of something fun we could do together that would entertain both kids & adults and thought of Geocaching. At Thanksgiving dinner I had my Awesome (very techy) bro-in-law show me how to use the Geocaching website.
After everyone was stuffed, we headed out with 4 GPS's and 2 pages of waypoints to look for treasures. The first one was just at the local park. We found the basic area where our GPS's said to go but still couldn't find the box. I ended up calling Jeremy to have him tell us where it was. Then we tried another one. When we got to a point we thought it would be & couldn't find it my niece said "You should call him again." :} We kept looking and were able to find 2 more before it was too dark.
Kind of a nerdy game, but fun..... For those of you who don't know what Geocaching is: People have hidden log books & some little toys in containers around the world (there are seriously millions). On the geocaching.com website it provides the coordinates you can enter in a GPS to lead you to them. They're usually hidden in shrubs so you have to actually look a little bit. They have different levels of difficulty & different sizes of containers.


It turned out to be really fun for both the adults & kids!












We ended the evening back at mom's house. Her cousin was over visiting and we asked what was planned for dinner. Then while mom was out of the room we voted on pizza & left to get it before she knew what happened!

We played games & the Nintendo WII for the rest of the evening.










Judging from the look on dad's face... he won. :}

2 comments:

Tina said...

Oh wow, I like your family...at least the ones I know :)

Anonymous said...

Hey you forgot to say that it was your Amazing sister that actually found most of the boxes! :)