Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Our little getaway.

After a long couple of months, and over a year since our last vacation of any kind, Fred and I went on an overnight trip....to Idaho.   I know, it doesn't sound that amazing, but it was just what we needed.  
The drive was only a few hours, then we did some sight seeing (as much as you can in Twin Falls). 
The view was pretty cool. 

We saw some cool bridges.

As far as we could tell, this is the famous Twin Falls - between the rocks in the middle.  Not impressive.

It was amazing that the area seems so flat, then all of a sudden you're crossing a large bridge. 

This is the first bridge (the picture does NOT do it justice) we crossed when we started noticing....the canyons.

I looked over from the bridge and saw this.   Amazing canyons in the middle of what seemed like a very flat area!

Left view from the Shoshone Falls.
What are the Shoshone Falls?  I had no idea, I've lived in the West my entire life and had never heard of the "Niagra of the West".   But here it is - less than 5 hours from us. 
We could have done a little hiking to where Evil Kneival jumped across the canyon, but it was chilly and the trail was icy.  I have to say, the area was pretty smelly - hopefully just from garbage that needed to be emptied.  The park seems like it would be beautiful in the summer.  One benefit of going in January was it wasn't crowded and we didn't have to pay a fee to get in.  
We ate at a restaurant - Elevation ##(?) it's supposed to have a view of the bridge that Fred was standing by in one of our pictures - but by the time we got there the sun was setting.  
The next day we went to the Twin Falls Temple.  It's a very small temple compared to most of the ones in Utah that we go to, but it was nice.   


Twin Falls, ID temple - this was a view from the trail as we hiked to see the "Twin Falls". 
We checked out of our hotel (which I had gotten an amazing deal on by booking online- AmericInn - a newer chain.  They serve cookies at 8pm :} ), tried some amazing hamburgers per the hotel clerks suggestion (Burger Stop).  Then headed for home. 
Along the way I made Fred stop at quilting stores.  Romantic, I know.   :}  I want to make us a new quilt for our bed and heard that Idaho has really good quilt stores.   They do..... but for a price, that I was NOT willing to pay.   But the fabric Fred picked out was kind of paisley and inspired us for the one we eventually did pick, back here at home, from a regular chain store, for 50% off, which came out to-- 75% off of what we would have paid in Idaho.  :} 
I'll post pictures afer I get it started. 
It was nice to have some time away, even if it was only to Idaho, it was a good, cheap, short trip.   We definitely feel rejuvenated. 

No comments: